Friday, March 31, 2017

The Cake Is Not A Lie

For some reason, ever since I made my cell project in 7th grade out of cake, I’ve had this obsession with making edible projects… So now, every chance I get, I try to find some way to turn a project into a dessert, which my French teacher picked up on and started designing our projects purposefully vague enough that I could pull it off :). But surprisingly, after the cell project, I haven’t been able to do another edible project for a science class yet... Well, until now. We had a project in AP Biology due today, and it was open-ended enough that it just had to be a model of the endocrine system that could be used to describe the action of various hormones. So, I made it a cake!


The body and brain shapes are just colored frosting, and all of the organs except the thyroid/parathyroid are molded out of candies like airheads and starbursts. The thyroid and parathyroid glands were cut out of an orange slice gummy. Then, to show the hormones and what they did, I printed out little slips of paper with all the information I needed and taped them to toothpicks, wrapping the paper around and putting each next to the organ that secretes it. It was a little hard to get all the pituitary hormones to fit...


And now I can start planning my next edible project, a model of the opera house from the Phantom of the Opera for French class that I'm going to be doing for extra credit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment