Monday, October 16, 2017

I Think I Just Redefined Small


Ever since I first learned to make paper cranes, back in like kindergarten, I’ve always had this strange obsession with trying to make them as small as I could. At first, that meant I cut a piece of origami paper in quarters and made them out of that. When I made my first set of 1000 cranes for one of my friends, they fit in a coffee can, and I thought that was good. Then the set of 1000 I finished last month fit into a jar. I’ve always wanted to know the smallest cranes I can make with my bare hands, and I figured now was a good time to test it out. These past few weeks, I’ve been too bogged down with homework to really do any crafts besides occasional cranes, so I thought that this would be a nice, quick craft I could do. I started with 5 squares, measuring 2, 1.75, 1.5, 1.25, and 1 cm square.


Surprisingly, I was able to make all of them fairly well (though the smallest ones did take a bit more time).  


I think that 1 cm is probably the limit of how small I can make them with this thickness of paper, though. Especially with the smaller cranes, the creases become extremely important, and with the last one there was barely enough paper to make the final creases at all…


It’s also amazing the difference in size between the cranes made from 2 cm and 1 cm squares!


Maybe I’ll eventually try to make even smaller cranes, but at least for now, I think these are pretty small. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment